I have Windows Explorer showing all file extensions, since I want to know the complete file name. There is one little problem – the .cnf files. They don’t have the extension visible.
I have several .cnf files for different applications, and every time I reinstall my computer, I have to remember how to show those file extensions. In short, you have to remove the .cnf entry in the registry. Here is how you do it:
- Open regedit (Start, Run…, ”regedit”, OK)
- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and find the .cnf entry
- Right click and select Delete
- Restart Windows or log off and log in again
- .cnf files now have the extension visible!